CROCKPOT PICANTE CHICKEN AND BLACK BEAN SOUP
This is amazing and so easy!! Hot and spicy full of protien!
I threw all the ingredients in the crockpot at 9pm and woke up this morning at 5am to get ready for work and it was cooked and ready to go! Now I have lunch for today and dinner when I get home.
(If you do not like it spicy cut back on the green chilies)
Crock Pot Picante Chicken and Black Bean Soup
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained ( you can use fresh follow package directions)
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of corn (optional)
- 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (you can use fresh tomatoes and chopped green chilies, also you can omit the chilies if you want less HOT)
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can diced green chiles (optional and you can use fresh if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 16 oz (2) skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 medium scallions, diced
- cut limes, for serving (optional)
- 1 medium avocado, sliced (optional)
- sour cream, for serving (optional)
Take one can of beans and place in the blender along with 2 cups of the chicken broth;puree then add to your slow cooker. Add the remainder of the beans and chicken broth into the slow cooker along with tomatoes, bell pepper, diced green chiles, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chicken breast, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Set slow cooker to HIGH 4 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours.
After it's done, remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Place back into the slow cooker and add fresh scallions, remainder cilantro and adjust salt and cumin, to taste.
Serve hot with lime wedges, avocados, and sour cream if desired. Makes about 10 1/2 cups.