Sunday, February 14, 2016
Monday, February 8, 2016
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork BBQ
Pulled Pork BBQ
Yield: 4 servings
Fix Portions (per serving): 1 red, 1/4 purple, 1/4 green, 1 yellow (if served open-face; 2 if served on whole bun; 0 if served bunless)
1. 1 pork loin
2. ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
3. ½ cup water
4. 1 green container (about 1 cup) onions and mushrooms, chopped
5. 1 tsp cayenne pepper
6. 1 tbsp garlic powder
7. ¼ cup red wine (or apple cider) vinegar
8. ¼ cup yellow mustard
9. 1 whole wheat bun or roll
1. Combine ingredients 1-6 in a crockpot
2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours
3. Drain and shred pork. Return to crockpot
4. Stir in red wine vinegar and mustard
(may need to add more, to taste, as well as add additional seasoning like pepper, cayenne, garlic powder)
5. Serve 1 red container (about 2/3 cup) of pork on whole wheat hamburger bun or deli round
Crock Pot Southwestern Chicken::
Cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken easily shreds. Allow shredded chicken to cook in the juice for 30 minutes after shredding. If the chicken is frozen, you’ll need to cook for 8 hours.
Thursday, October 29, 2015
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- 2 pounds cut up chicken, skinless and boneless, cut into 2" pieces (raw chicken) I used breasts for this recipe but feel free to use dark meat or a combination of breasts and thighs
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth, fat free
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped, Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, broken into small pieces
Add all ingredients, except the noodles, in the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or until carrots are tender. The last hour of cooking time, add the broken pasta and continue cooking one additional hour or until pasta is al dente, or to desired doneness.
Thursday, October 15, 2015
CROCKPOT PICANTE CHICKEN AND BLACK BEAN SOUP
This is amazing and so easy!! Hot and spicy full of protien!
I threw all the ingredients in the crockpot at 9pm and woke up this morning at 5am to get ready for work and it was cooked and ready to go! Now I have lunch for today and dinner when I get home.
(If you do not like it spicy cut back on the green chilies)
Crock Pot Picante Chicken and Black Bean Soup
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained ( you can use fresh follow package directions)
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of corn (optional)
- 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (you can use fresh tomatoes and chopped green chilies, also you can omit the chilies if you want less HOT)
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can diced green chiles (optional and you can use fresh if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 16 oz (2) skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 medium scallions, diced
- cut limes, for serving (optional)
- 1 medium avocado, sliced (optional)
- sour cream, for serving (optional)
Take one can of beans and place in the blender along with 2 cups of the chicken broth;puree then add to your slow cooker. Add the remainder of the beans and chicken broth into the slow cooker along with tomatoes, bell pepper, diced green chiles, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chicken breast, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Set slow cooker to HIGH 4 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours.
After it's done, remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Place back into the slow cooker and add fresh scallions, remainder cilantro and adjust salt and cumin, to taste.
Serve hot with lime wedges, avocados, and sour cream if desired. Makes about 10 1/2 cups.
Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Crockpot Balsamic Roast
2 lb top round roast
1 large sweet onion, sliced
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp white wine
2 tbsp olive oil
3lbs small red potatos
For Rub: Salt, Smoked Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Black Pepper
Season your roast on both sides generously with the spices listed above to your liking.
Heat your olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, once warm sear each side of your roast for 3-4 minutes.
Place your sliced onions in the bottom of your crock pot and put your seared meat on top of the onions.
Combine your balsamic vinegar and tomato sauce in a bowl and mix well, then pour over your meat in the crock pot.
Add your water and white wine to your pan and de-glaze it and pour this mixture in your crock pot as well.
Place the lid on, set to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
Serve with steamed green beans and and optional boiled small red potatoes
Optional Boiled potato recipe:
- 3 pounds very small red potatoes
- 5 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, or to taste
Peel a wide strip from around the middle of each potato. In a kettle combine potatoes and garlic with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches and boil until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain mixture. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and transfer garlic to a blender. Add to blender lemon juice, oil, and salt and pepper to taste and purée dressing. In the bowl toss potatoes with dressing and parsley. Potatoes may be prepared 4 hours ahead and kept covered.
Serve potatoes warm or at room temperature